Erin Lawrence advises clients of all sizes—from start-ups to investors to large corporations—on a wide range of interrelated intellectual property and business issues. Erin focuses on utilizing and optimizing clients’ patent portfolios to realize each company’s business and commercial goals. Erin provides, among other things, counseling and strategies regarding patentability of clients’ assets, competitors’ assets, patent monetization, patent portfolio, other patent-related opinions and agreements, and strategic litigation advice. Erin has extensive experience with clients in the pharmaceutical and biological sectors, but also works with clients in other industries, such as software and computer programming, consumer products, industrial products, and business methods. Erin also has extensive experience working on trials and appeals.
Erin has litigated on behalf of and counseled both brand and generic pharmaceutical companies. This experience provides her with an in-depth understanding of patent, business, and regulatory issues faced by both types of clients, which enables her to anticipate potential issues with competitors. Throughout her career, Erin has worked and built long-lasting relationships with a large network of some of the most pre-eminent experts in the pharmaceutical and biological industries.
Erin enjoys working with boards of directors, company executives, R&D personnel, investors, and industry experts to discuss patent portfolio strategies, including monetization and problem-shooting. Erin can anticipate and prevent patent-related problems and/or address existing problems in innovative ways.
Specifically, Erin provides clients with the following services:
- Early coordination of intellectual property strategy with R&D and business development goals;
- Analyses of strengths, vulnerabilities, and/or enforceability of client and competitor patent portfolios;
- Trial assessments and assistance with trial preparation;
- Work with industry experts to strengthen clients’ litigation positions;
- Patent monetization strategies;
- Analyses and monitoring of patent litigation;
- Analyses regarding pharmaceutical pipelines and corresponding intellectual property;
- Analyses and monitoring of national and international patent prosecution;
- Freedom-to-operate opinions, including prior art searches;
- Developing design-around strategies;
- Due diligence studies for corporations, start-ups, investors, to provide advice regarding mergers and acquisitions;
- Negotiation and analyses of licenses and other patent-related agreements;
- Personnel training regarding intellectual property best practices;
- Presentations to executives and boards of directors to explain complex intellectual property issues;
- Assessments of FDA communications and related regulatory issues;
- Audits of patent portfolios to assess any gaps in clients’ patent protection, including review of invention disclosure forms/procedures;
- Inter Partes Reviews and post-grant review proceedings; and
- Draft and/or analysis of Paragraph IV letters.
- Grimes & Yvon LLP (June 2018-present)
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP (2016-June 2018)
- Frommer Lawrence & Haug, LLP (2009-2016)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (Law Clerk for Judge Edward Korman, 2009)
- J.D., cum laude, Brooklyn Law School, New York, NY
- Appellate Moot Court Honor Society
- Best Oral Advocacy Award
- B.S., Loyola College, Baltimore Maryland (Biology)
- New York